Only one week left till Valentine’s Day! So excited! As I’ve mentioned before, Valentine’s is my favorite holiday EVER! All the red and pink everywhere, hearts, flowers, more hearts, lips, kisses, stuffed toys, balloons, chocolates, jewelry, fancy dinners and dressing up! What’s not to love? I do think that the holiday has become very commercialized, and the whole meaning of celebrating love gets lost somewhere between a trip to Godiva and all the money spent on expensive lingerie, but I still really, really love it. Sue me.
This year, just like last, le boyfriend and I are very lucky to be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day down South. Last year we were in Los Cabos, this year we chose beautiful Cuba! If only I wasn’t horrifyingly sick (complete with snot fountain, dry cough, fever, headaches – the works), I would be jumping up and down in excitement right about now. Unfortunately, since I am disgusting, I can only try to get some rest and drink endless cups of tea with lemon and honey, with only faint hope of getting better by tomorrow.
So enough about me, what about you? Have you gotten your boyfriend a gift this year? If not, you still have one week left to pick up something special for your loved one! Below is a little list I put together, to, hopefully, give you a few ideas, just in case you were in a panic mode! I ran these gift suggestions by le boyfriend, and he approved. But then again, different people have different tastes. Make sure your choice suits your man’s style! Happy shopping!
1. Sports Jersey – Does your boyfriend watch hockey or soccer religiously? If so, he might want a jersey of his favorite team! And if he already has one, some teams have different jerseys every year, so it might become something of a collectors’ item. Though, make sure you’re not getting him the exact same one he already has!
2. Espresso Machine – Who doesn’t like to wake up to a steamy kiss? We all do! But when you’re not around, a cup of hot and yummy home-made espresso might do the trick!
3. Call of Duty 2 – I know about this game, not because I’ve played, but from my male friends and le boyfriend, who are all obsessed with it. If you go with this one, please don’t blame me if quality time with your man goes way down. This is not just a game – it’s a lifestyle.
4. Magazine Subscription – Does your man care about style? Does he like to take care of himself? Does he like to read? If so, a men’s mag subscription might be a cool and an inexpensive gift that keeps on giving! Men’s Health, GQ, Esquire, Vanity Fair, Vibe, Toronto Life…the list goes on and on.
5. Graphic Tee – Most men are kids at heart. When I asked le boyfriend about He-Man vs. Hulk, his eyes lit up. If he’s into superheroes, a cool (maybe even vintage) tee might just be a perfect gift for him.
6. Cookies, cupcakes, meat – Well, pretty much any type of food that your man enjoys would make an awesome gift. Plus, cooking for him, will let you showcase your amazing kitchen prowess…and if said prowess is lacking, then The Cupcake Shoppe is the way to go.
7. iPad – Ok, this one is quite pricey, but every single man I asked said that he would definitely love to get one. Men like gadgets – simple as that.
8. Sunglasses – I am only putting this on this list, because that’s what I got le boyfriend this year. A pair of classic Ray Ban Wayfarers. I lent him mine a few times, and loved the way he looked in them, so since he needed a pair for our vacation, I went and got him a pair just like mine. Yes, we’ll be disgustingly matchy-matchy on our vacay. And I love it (and him)!
9. Lingerie – Well, this one isn’t exactly for him. But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t enjoy it just the same. Maybe even more so.
10. Rock Band – I got this one for le boyfriend last year. Drums, guitar, microphone, and a list of super-awesome rock songs to rock out to. What man wouldn’t love to “slap some base” with an upgrade from his usual air guitar?
And if none of these gifts work…a simple “I Love You” note and a make-out session go a long way! Ok, I am done being disgustingly cringe-worthy about the Valentine’s hoopla (but I love, love, love it!).
Check out the Christmas 2009 gift guide for more gift ideas!