TIFF 2018 is mere days away, and I don’t know about you, but I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks now, picking out films I’m going to watch, and figuring out the celebs I’ll be hoping to spot around town. And in case you’re just as excited as me, below are a few fun events you can attend during the festival, in addition to watching all of the films.
Share Her Journey Rally
Stand up for change with TIFF on the morning of Saturday, September 8 for the Share Her Journey Rally. All who want to see and be part of real change in the film industry are invited to join the action down on John Street at the Slaight Music Stage at 10am. With the support of partners ReFrame, TIME’S UP, and #AfterMeToo, we will hear from thought leaders and inspirational guests including:
– Dr. Stacy L. Smith, Founder and Director of the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, the leading global think tank studying issues of inequality in entertainment;
– Amanda Brugel, actor;
– Keri Putnam, Executive Director of Sundance Institute;
– Mia Kirshner, actor, and co-founder of #AfterMeToo;
– Amma Asante, filmmaker ( Belle, United Kingdom, and Where Hands Touch)
– Cathy Schulman, President, Welle Entertainment;
– Nandita Das, filmmaker ( Firaaq, Manto) and actor;
– Zavia Forrest, TIFF Next Wave Committee member
RSVP at shareherjourney.org/rally to join the event.
TTC Free Screening
TIFF has once again partnered with the TTC to help film fans get access to great movies for FREE. Street teams are set to distribute free Festival and TIFF Bell Lightbox tickets, culminating in a special TTC Free Screening at Roy Thomson Hall on September 9. This Festival event is open to all TTC riders — just bring your Metropass or PRESTO card for entry!*
More after the jump!
Festival Street Fun
There is something for everyone to participate in on Festival Street. This year, in honour of some of the film industry’s trailblazing women, audiences are invited to catch a free, 30th-anniversary screening of Penny Marshall’s classic, Big, starring Tom Hanks as a kid who wishes he was grown up. Attendees can also listen to great music from Kayla Diamond and other up-and-coming talent on the Slaight Music Stage. For full lineup details, visit tiff.net. Visitors are also welcome to grab a drink at one of the extended patios, sample delicious treats from an array of food trucks, and have fun with the many engaging partner activations.
Refinery29 Festival Rooftop
New this year is the Refinery29 Festival Rooftop, an intimate and interactive space that offers exciting Festival experiences, combined with a not-to-be-missed after-party on the top floor of TIFF Bell Lightbox. Here are just a few highlights:
– Participate in MISFITSTUDIO’s movement session The Calm Before the Storm: A Mindful Festival Kickoff. Stretch next to talent including Amanda Crew (Freaks, Silicon Valley) and hear advice from a panel of lifestyle experts and guests from the film world;
– Check out a live taping of Refinery29’s popular Facebook Live pop culture and entertainment show The Mention with a spotlight on the film Life Itself;
– Celebrate homegrown talent at Toronto on the Rise, an intimate panel and meet-and-greet with some of the city’s brightest up-and-coming stars, including Stephan James (If Beale Street Could Talk, Homecoming), Shamier Anderson (Destroyer), Lamar Johnson (The Hate U Give), Jess Salgueiro (Workin’ Moms, MOUTHPIECE) and Mouna Traoré (In Contempt, American Gods), hosted by eTalk’s Traci Melchor;
– Take part in an interactive panel and workshop on The Magic of Movie Makeup, where attendees can learn makeup tips for everyday use from celebrity makeup artist Lucky Bromhead (Schitt’s Creek) and listen to insider tricks for special effects from prosthetic makeup masters Jordan Samuel (The Shape of Water, Crimson Peak, Pacific Rim) and Sean Sansom (The Shape of Water, IT, Carrie). All audience participants will receive a L’Oréal Paris gift at the end of the session.
At nightfall, TIFF Bell Lightbox’s rooftop will play host to the Official TIFF After-Party, presented by nightlife legends 1 OAK and in partnership with Oliver & Bonacini. Tickets for rooftop events will go on sale to TIFF Members starting August 23 (by level). Non-Members may purchase tickets starting September 3, based on availability.
*Free tickets can be reserved online, while quantities last. The TTC Free Screening may be Rushed. Tickets will be issued to the Rush line approximately 10 minutes before the start of the screening based on availability. There is a limit of one ticket per person with proof of a Metropass or PRESTO Card. Please arrive as soon as possible to join the Rush line.